Welcome to you, longtime faithful parishioner, neighbor or visitor. Welcome to this church which has been home to Layton Catholics since it was first built in 1948. Welcome to you , friend, traveler, neighbor. Together we journey to the kingdom of God. Thank you for taking the time to stop here to visit, to spend a quiet moment, to pray.
For nearly 100 years after the area was first settled in 1848, there were no Catholic churches between Salt Lake City and Ogden. Bishop Duane G. Hunt invited the Paulist Fathers, who had been conducting trailer missions in the Uintah Basin since 1938, to move their operations into Davis County. Their schedule was an extremely busy one. They celebrated masses and gave instructions at various sites throughout the county including the American Legion Hall in Bountiful, the Layton Town Hall, schools, private homes in Clearfield, Arsenal Villa and Anchorage. They also held trailer missions in the Sahara Village and Hill Field, as well as missions in the Salt Lake City area. They were assisted by the Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Victory and a vigorous lay apostolate headed by the Senior and Junior Legions of Mary.
After the conclusion of World War II, the Paulist Fathers decided to build a permanent church in Layton, at 85 Church Street. Saint Rose of Lima was constructed by Father James McLean, the "priest with the union card" who had been a carpenter prior to entering the priesthood. The selfless cooperation of priests and people not only saved several thousand dollars but also made it possible to have a much more adequate building. New York Supreme Court Justice Hames B. McNally offered a contribution to aid in the construction of the church. The Paulists accepted his offer and constructed a church dedicated to Saint Rose of Lima, (1586-1617), the Peruvian Dominican tertiary who became the first Native born saint of the new world. This was also done to honor Justice McNally's mother whose name was Rose. Funds from Judge McNally, the Catholic Church Extension Society, Good Sheppard Church in New York, architect Henry Murphy of Brooklyn and the Layton community all contributed to the total cost of $15,000. The people of Layton raised a good part of the funds by means of bond raffles during the war and a special drive the year before. The beautiful new church was completed in less than a year, despite the headaches of post-war building problems. Ground was broken March 24, 1947, and the cornerstone was Blessed June 15, 1947. First Mass was said on January 11, 1948 and formal dedication was held on April 11, by the Most Reverend Duane G. Hunt, the fifth Bishop of Salt Lake City. It was the culmination of many years of hard work and planning, of devout prayers and personal sacrifices, of persevering hope and faith. It reassured us that God had been pleased to reward our efforts on behalf of His Kingdom here in Utah.
The passing years brought growth to the parish and the church was becoming crowded at Sunday morning Masses. Plans would have to be made for a new and larger facility. In June 1986, five and one half acres of land were purchased at 210 South Chapel Street in Layton for the future site of a new parish center. An additional one half acre with a house was purchased for a new rectory.
On January 2, 1989, Saint Rose of Lima said farewell to the Paulist Fathers and welcomed our present Pastor, Monsignor Victor G. Bonnell. Monsignor Bonnell was ordained in Cleveland for the diocese of Salt Lake City in 1960 and retired on June 19, 2011. He walked with the parishioners on a journey which led to a greater love of the Church. The people of Saint Rose are proud to have had him as their pastor and look forward to the future.
Under Monsignor Bonnell's pastorale, a new church and center were planned. The new and very modern facilities were dedicated on September 18, 1994. The Education and Conference Center were dedicated on October 4, 2009.
In August 2011, Father Clarence J. Sandoval became pastor of St. Rose and under his teaching the parish began the changes resulting from the Roman Missal.
The layout for the new Saint Rose of Lima Church centers around the church space (nave), which is wrapped by the administrative and social/education wings. Entry is achieved through an outdoor courtyard and around a flowing water fountain, providing a transition from the public to the spiritual environment. From the pivotal point of the gathering space or narthex, circulation into the nave, Social Center and Administrative offices is provided.
Seating arrangement exemplifies the early Christian action of the communal meal gathered around a table. The Altar is the nucleus of the seating positioning and the placement of other liturgical requirements, allowing the congregation communication and interaction with the celebrant, reader, choir, and fellow parishioners. This type of configuration allows the assembled community to be the real participants in the celebration rather than the spectators. Entering into the nave along the central axis of the courtyard and narthex, participants move through the Baptistry area recalling their own initiation into the Church. Continuing along the center aisle, a carpeted path leads to the Altar which is announced from above by the "crossing tower".
The design of all aspects of this church takes into consideration the unity and harmony of the liturgical items and the architecture of the building as a composition. Elements such as the Altar, ambo, baptistry, chair, pews, tabernacle, carpet patterns, structure, landscaping and lighting are tied together through the use of form, color, light, texture, symbolism, quality of materials and their placement with respect to one another. Materials were selected on the basis of their quality, dignity, richness, maintainability, durability and appropriateness for a church of this stature. Major materials include hone-faced concrete masonry, natural marble slabs and tile, copper roofing, and interior detailing and maple veneers and trim.
The form of this church rises from the low roofed support spaces to the high angled perimeter walls of the nave. The roof ridge of the nave begins above the baptistry and intersects the tower above the altar. Skylights will flood the space with natural light over the narthex, nave and atop the curved wall of the ambulatory, where at night the tower stands as a beacon to the surrounding community. Additionally, a large stained glass window, designated to incorporate the stain glass medallions of the original Saint Rose church, and reflect the floor design of the baptistry is located above the tall doors leading from the narthex to the nave. Stained glass is also on the east and south walls of the nave, depicting the Stations of the Cross. The Stations of the Cross were commissioned especially for Saint Rose and are back lit so they can be enjoyed after sunset.
Saint Rose of Lima Church - the elaborate altar, the rich and plentiful religious, Biblical and sacramental symbolism, the lofty spire -- provide the People of God who worship here a worthy home. Saint Rose welcomes the visitor who stops to pray. Saint Rose welcomes the former resident who comes back home to remember a baptism, a wedding, a funeral, an anniversary, First Communion or Confirmation. Saint Rose welcomes you who pass by this way and worship in this space.
The parish now has over 1500 families.
May the Peace of Christ be with you!
Reverend Clarence Sandoval
Return to St Rose Homepage
This page was last updated on
Wednesday, December 21, 2011 04:36:15 PM
Content is property of St. Rose of Lima Catholic Parish LLC Series #245